Tag Blanket Tutorial
May 20, 2013 in Projects
My son could not live without his tag blanket, a.k.a “my buddy”. They are the perfect size and a great security blanket. Tag blankets are so easy to make and are great personalized presents!
-minky or flannel fabric
-ribbons- I used 24- 5″ ribbons, the more prints the better!
-Baby Lock sewing machine
-Straight pins, scissors
1. To begin, cut fabric into two 16×16″ squares or you can make it more personalized and cut out a letter pattern. Just google free patterns!
2. Next, cut ribbon into 5″ strips
3. Pin ribbon loops to the right side of the fabric with raw edge of ribbon and fabric lining up. Your ribbon loop should be facing away from the edge.
4. Now place your other square on top of ribbons with the right side of fabric facing each other. Your ribbons will be sandwiched between the right sides of your fabric. Pin the two squares together. When using minky fabric you can never use enough pins(as you can see below).
5. Sew along the edge leaving a 1/2″ seam allowance. Make sure to leave a 2″ hole along one side to turn the blanket right side out. Clip your corners to make it easier to pull them out and it makes them less bulky. To do this, cut off the extra fabric of the corner but be careful not to cut the stitch!
6. Flip the blanket right side out through the hole. Fold raw edges under and pin the opening shut.
Use a straight stitch to top stitch around all four sides of the blanket.
And that’s it! As a mom of a tag blanket lover, I suggest making more than one so there is aways a back up! Also, those ribbons come in handy to clip the blanket to your purse/stroller/diaper bag with a baby ring!