sewing glossary Archives - Totally Stitchin

by Kendra


August 14, 2010 in Glossary

The weaving of thread or yarn across a hole in a piece of fabric to fill and conceal the hole. You can also darn across a thin or worn area of fabric to strengthen it, to prevent a hole from forming, and to close a fabric tear. The editors of SINGER Worldwide. Mending and Repari, 2007, page 24.

by Kendra

inverted pleat

April 10, 2010 in Glossary

Pair of mirror-image knife pleats folded toward each other. An inverted pleat folded into an opening at the lower end of the center back seam of a straight skirt is also known as a kick pleat.

by Kendra

Rolled Hem

June 23, 2009 in Glossary

A rolled hem is a vary narrow hem - much more narrow than what you would get by turning, pressing and stitching. These tiny hems are seen on napkins, the edge of ruffles, tableclothes, linings and scarves. You can achive a rolled hem with the Lauren with a 3-thread set-up or by using a rolled hem foot on your sewing machine.
Skip to toolbar